荷乐网下载手机App | 客服热线:0031(0)104133904
remco habing

Dutch AIO seeks fortune abroad

UTNews

A recent article in the International Herald Tribune spotlighted Dutch emigrants seeking new homes abroad. Reasons for leaving the Netherlands included the unstable economy, `overcrowding, endless traffic jams, overregulation,' and increased aggression `both in political debates and on the streets.' A similar phenomenon occurs at the UT as Dutch graduates pursue their fortune elsewhere. One such example is Remco Habing, an AIO in Engineering Fluid Dynamics in the Department of Mechanical Engineering.

Habing is satisfied with his experience at the UT, working with daily supervisor Dr. Rob Hagmeijer `solving mathematical problems' and second promoter Professor Mico Hirschberg on the `practical relevance of the problems.' As he nears the date of his thesis defense (`Flow and Plate Motion in Compressor Valves'), another hurdle looms ahead: finding a job.

Habing is looking outside the Netherlands for the next stage of his career. One factor he cites is the dismal weather, `I don't like the weather in the Netherlands. I look forward to meeting friends and family at a barbecue, playing a soccer match on Saturday afternoons. Most of the time these events must be cancelled because of the rainy weather.' He adds: `Most of the jobs are in the West. I really don't want to live in De Randstad because of air pollution, ugly landscapes, limited access to nature.' But, mainly, he is ready for risk and adventure.

A unique chance came Habing's way in June 2004, while attending the 2nd Students Workshop for Reciprocating Compressors at Krakow University in Poland. Near the end of the workshop, a task was assigned to locate a defective valve in an actual compressor system. `The challenge was to form a theoretical model to perform simulations and give conclusive results about the position of the defective valve. The strategy for tackling the problem came to me almost immediately,' he explains. A few months later, he received an email message announcing that he was the winner.

The prize was a week at the Ariel Compressor School in Mt. Vernon, Ohio. Ariel, the world's biggest supplier of compressor systems. Valves are crucial to compressor systems. If they are not in perfect condition, costly shutdowns may occur. Ariel compressor systems are used in the international petro-chemical industry for gathering, storage and transportation.

Upon arrival in Columbus, Ohio, Habing immediately got lost as he navigated his rental car along the dark roads toward Mt. Vernon. He was pleasantly surprised by how friendly people were when he asked for directions. He describes them as `fat, with strong accents, wearing baseball caps, constantly eating and drinking or chewing tobacco.'

Ariel offers basic product training courses for customers newly acquainted with compressor systems and working in the field of operations. February 20-25, Habing followed such a course. The course content was not terribly challenging for the PhD student already well versed in compressor systems. In fact, on the last day, the lecturer asked Habing: `Did I say anything that's not true?'

Toward the end of his stay, Habing toured Ariel's Research and Development building and was impressed by the experimental facilities. His mind danced with research possibilities, as he learned that there were plans to expand R&D due to the economic boom created by the low dollar. Moreover, conversations with the R&D head (formerly of NASA) revealed someone who actually understood Habing's thesis. He could not help but ask if there were any vacancies.

The next day, a secretary interrupted the class to lead Habing to an impromptu interview with Ariel's Vice-President. He explained that Ariel seeks to develop more sophisticated ways of conducting research, in particular where valves are concerned. He found Habing a perfect fit and asked him to stay another week. Unfortunately, Habing had pressing matters to attend to in the Netherlands. Not a problem, the Vice-President invited him to return - all expenses paid - to Ariel to spend another week this spring.

After his recent experience, Habing finds the US appealing. `Yes,' he concedes, `people are hired and fired more easily, but merit counts more there.' He believes that being rewarded for achievement encourages employees to work hard. His many internships in the Netherlands left him disillusioned by his employers' blasé attitude. One went so far as to confide: `I think that I can work here for 30 years. I login in the morning, logout in the evening, and in between I eat candy.' Habing is looking for an opportunity to be creative as he looks abroad to pursue the `art of science'.

Kristin Zimmerman
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表

关于此网站上的Cookie

我们使用 Cookie 来个性化和改善您在我们网站上的使用体验,了解您如何使用本网站和为您提供量身定制的广告或咨询。 如果您继续使用我们的网站,即代表您同意我们使用 Cookie政策。 请访问我们Cookie条款隐私条款,了解最新内容。

接受