荷乐网下载手机App | 客服热线:0031(0)104133904

Deventer—A Unique Sinterklaas Tradition

print version

In all the Netherlands, the town of Deventer is the only one that forbids Sinterklaas to put in appearance before 5 December. Here Sinterklaas is welcome for only one day! The good saint arrives in the rest of the Netherlands in the middle of November, where he can be seen walking about, visiting in schools, hospitals, and homes. Not so, in Deventer.

Sinterklaas arrives at the quay in Deventer, 5 December

Photo: Gerrit Smit Yorkshire Mixture
Used by permission</I>
All ages crowd the banks of the River Ijssel

Used by permission</I>

The band plays children's Sinterklaas songs

Used by permission</I> Here it is the 5th of December when the good saint arrives at the wharf along the River Ijssel (unless it falls on a Sunday—then he comes Saturday, the 4th). This has been true for a long time, ever since the Sinterklaas associations developed unfortunate competition among themselves.  When groups of rival Sints and Piets met each other there was rowdy behavior, even brawls. It was so bad, a law was passed in 1919, forbidding Sinterklaas to make an appearance in Deventer before December 5th.
If a Sinterklaas ignores the law and comes before December 5, the penalty is a 2,250 euro fine or three months in jail. So, Sinterklaas is a rare sight in Deventer.
After Sinterklaas official arrival on Dutch National television, Deventer children put their shoes out, just like children in the rest of the Netherlands. For Sinterklaas leaves treats in the night as he goes about the countryside, whether he and his helpers are seen walking about in broad daylight or not.
In 2004 one of the Sints went to court, challenging the ban on appearing before 5 December.

Sinterklaas arriving at court in Zwolle, 2004
Photo: De Telegraaf
Permission pending</I>
Sinterklaas in the Zwolle court
Photo: De Telegraaf
Permission pending</I>
Sinterklaas argued the Deventer ban violated his civil rights. The mayor, in response, made the case (through a poem) to retain the ban. The judge then referred the case to an independent mediator. Most of the people in Deventer want to keep their unique one-day-Sinterklaas tradition.
The mediator's report recommended a slight adjustment to the ban, allowing a fully costumed Sinterklaas to travel to or from a private, small, non-commercial celebration. However, public appearances are still absolutely forbidden before 5 December. This isn't really regarded as a change, as such house calls were already tolerated, even though they are at odds with Deventer tradition. The mayor says it is totally out of the question that Sinterklaases will get more opportunities.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表

关于此网站上的Cookie

我们使用 Cookie 来个性化和改善您在我们网站上的使用体验,了解您如何使用本网站和为您提供量身定制的广告或咨询。 如果您继续使用我们的网站,即代表您同意我们使用 Cookie政策。 请访问我们Cookie条款隐私条款,了解最新内容。

接受