荷乐网下载手机App | 客服热线:0031(0)104133904
`a passionate and inspiring researcher'

Detlef Lohse wins Spinoza Prize 2005

Detlef Lohse, a fluid physics professor on the faculty of Science and Technology, is one of four top Dutch researchers awarded the Spinoza Prize 2005 (a sum of 1.5 million euros) by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO). The award was announced a week ago in The Hague. Lohse was recognized for his internationally renowned explanation of sonoluminescensce and his research on heat transportation and turbulence.

2005 was a good year for Detlef Lohse (Hamburg, 1963). In March he was appointed university professor, was accepted as a member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences in April and has now been awarded the NWO/Spinoza Prize. The prize, also called the Dutch Nobel Prize, is the highest scientific award in the country.

According to Lohse, this burst of recognition is all `coincidence'. Coincidence? Coming from a scientist? Lohse quickly recovers with a more plausible explanation. `According to the Poisson distribution, rare events have the tendency to cluster.' That's much better.

He does not see the prize as the crowning glory of his work. `No, that would mean my career is finished and I'll retire tomorrow. I'm just starting! However, I do consider this to be great recognition of my group and our research. We've been working for about seven years and made Twente highly visible in the field.'

Lohse studied and received his PhD in Germany before postgraduate work at the Universities of Chicago and Marburg. He has been heading the fluid physics research group since 1998 and has built a good reputation with his research in hydrodynamics, turbulence and granular media. He is internationally renowned for his explanation of sonoluminescence: the emission of light through bubbles. He was one of the few non-Americans to become a Fellow of the American Physical Society in 2002 and in the same year also joined the German Akademie der Naturforscher, Leopoldina. He has published about a hundred articles, seven of which were published in Nature or Science and twenty-five of which were published in Physical Review Letters. His article predicting the relation between heat transportation in a turbulent fluid and the heat flow is an oft cited work in the field.

Jannie Benedictus
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表

关于此网站上的Cookie

我们使用 Cookie 来个性化和改善您在我们网站上的使用体验,了解您如何使用本网站和为您提供量身定制的广告或咨询。 如果您继续使用我们的网站,即代表您同意我们使用 Cookie政策。 请访问我们Cookie条款隐私条款,了解最新内容。

接受