荷乐网下载手机App | 客服热线:0031(0)104133904
Madelein asks Bush the first question

Madelein Hofmijster was one of fifteen students invited for a round table discussion with American president George Bush in Limburg several weeks ago. `I've only just realized what happened,' she says. Normally, Hofmijster is a student of Industrial Engineering and Management Science, but this year she is the chairman of the Dutch National Student Association (ISO). `After the debate, I saw Putin shake Bush's hand on television. I thought, gee, I did that too!'

Why did they ask you?

`The students had all been invited by the American embassy in the Netherlands. I had been there on ISO business and apparently they remembered me. By the way, I wasn't invited as the ISO chairman, but as a student. I was very surprised. Why? Why me? What do you want me to do? Fortunately, we were briefed in advance. They told us we could ask anything we wanted; we didn't have to submit our questions in advance.'

Was it a long debate?

`The first ten minutes were with the press, after that we continued for another half an hour without them. Since Balkenende, who acted as moderator, called upon me first, my question was broadcast everywhere. Suddenly you have a CNN News cameraman breathing down your neck, reminding you that the world is watching. I asked Bush if there will be a time when he will retract the extensive anti-terrorism measures introduced after September 11, such as the Patriot Act. I got a very long-winded reply on the changed climate in America and on how civil rights are not affected by the measures. By the way, I later read in the L.A. Times that they thought our questions were very critical. That couldn't have happened in the States.'

What did you think of Bush?

`He tried very hard not to talk about anything besides democracy. He was completely convinced of his ideology. That still worries me. I wonder if he will keep things in perspective, or if his ideology has to prevail at any cost?'

Trans. Jeroen Latour
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表

关于此网站上的Cookie

我们使用 Cookie 来个性化和改善您在我们网站上的使用体验,了解您如何使用本网站和为您提供量身定制的广告或咨询。 如果您继续使用我们的网站,即代表您同意我们使用 Cookie政策。 请访问我们Cookie条款隐私条款,了解最新内容。

接受