文章

精彩评论25

strawhat  ↗贵宾↗  2002-6-13 23:20:33 | 显示全部楼层 来自: 荷兰
美国UCLA大学一个负责人发的OPEN Email:
Dear Colleagues,
> >
> >I would like to call your attention to a very disturbing set of
> >circumstances of which many of you may not be aware. It has to do with
> >the authenticity of transcripts emanating from universities within the PRC.
> >We recently had to verify a student's set of transcripts from Wuhan
University,
> >and found that what we had in our office, which looked like an original,
> >with the appropriate stamps etc., was in fact very different from what was
> >on file with the University. Several courses had been added and many
> >grades were changed. Additionally, three of the student's five letters of
> >recommendation were from professors who taught courses that were never
> >taken (the letterhead was also different from the other two letters). During
> >a recruitment visit to UCLA, the student was interviewed by faculty
> >members in our program, and was soundly endorsed for acceptance. Subsequent
to our
> >discovery of the falsified papers in the dossier, we had no choice but
> >to withdraw our offer of acceptance.
> >
> >In collaboration with the U.S. university where the student was enrolled
> >in a master's program, we determined that yet another and different
> >falsified transcript was on file with them. Moreover, we now know that there
is at least one operation in China from which the applicant was able to obtain
> >these sets of forged transcripts. When both of our programs went into
> >the archives and examined the transcripts submitted over the past few years
> >by other applicants who had graduated from Wuhan, we found them to have two
> >different appearances: Ones that have the look of the originals that we
> >received directly from the Dean of Records, and the others that were
> >identical to the forgeries. We are tentatively concluding that other
> >applicants and yes, even current and former students, submitted forged
> >transcripts' some going back as far as 1992. Needless to say, the student
> >in question was expelled from the master's program based on the evidence
> >collected.
> >
> >At this point I am forced to question the authenticity of transcripts from
> >other universities in China as well. As a recent article in US News and
> >World Reports points out, there is a dramatic rise in falsified test
> >scores, diplomas and transcripts from the PRC
> >(http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/articles/chinafraud.htm).
> >Regrettably, I am now in the process of having to formulate new policies
> >and procedures as to how we can guarantee that applications from the PRC can
> >be deemed authentic. In the next few weeks, we will likely consider
> >suspending applications/admissions from the PRC until a mechanism is in
place
> >whereby only authentic transcripts are received directly from a single
> >responsible individual within the administration of each university. It has
been difficult enough to navigate through PRC applications in light of
> >revelations by the ETS of irregularities in GRE and TOEFL scores.
> >Uncertainties about transcripts make this task even more difficult.
> >
> >Since this matter is of such gravity, I would like this letter to be the
> >beginning of an on-line dialogue whose ultimate goal is to formulate a
> >consensus policy that will send a loud and clear statement to the student
> >population of the PRC: We will no longer be taken advantage of in this
> >way.
> >I realize that the majority of students who apply to our programs from
> >China are sincere applicants who should not be presumed guilty of such
crimes.
> >I feel just as strongly that we must stand together to eradicate a system
> >that has undoubtedly led to millions of our tax dollars being spent on
> >dishonest students who have fraudulently displaced the honest ones from our
> >admissions process. I would be most grateful to hear your experiences, your
> >opinions and your suggestions.
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >
> >David Meyer
> >Sr. Associate Dean, Graduate Studies
> >The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, and
> >Director, UCLA ACCESS
>
strawhat  ↗贵宾↗  2002-6-13 23:22:00 | 显示全部楼层 来自: 荷兰
来龙去脉:
发信人: spray (雪浪花), 信区: WHU
标 题: 改成绩单的事
发信站: The unknown SPACE (Wed Jun 12 2256 2002), 转信

Hi,

Something happened in UCLA. It may cause another tide
of unbelief toward applicants from PRC.

A Chinese student 'X', now in one university in U.S.,
applied for UCLA. So lucky, he got offer. Another
Chinese applicant 'Y' ( GF of X's friend ) was refused
by the same program. 'Y' wrote a letter to the
Graduate school in UCLA to point out that X's
transcript is forged. UCLA contacted X's university in
China (WuHan university) to get his original
transcript. UCLA also found that 3 of X's 5
recommendation letters were from professors who taught
courses that were never taken. UCLA also contact X's
university in U.S. about the authenticity of his
university in U.S. about the authenticity of his
transcript and recommendation letters.

UCLA examined the transcripts submitted over the past
few years ( going back as far as 1992 ) by all the
applicants who had graduated from WuHan university.
Students in question were expelled.

The administrator of graduate school in UCLA sent a
public letter to all the Chinese students: "At this
point I am forced to question the authenticity of
transcripts from other universities in China as well.
In the next few weeks, we will likely consider
suspending applications/admissions from the PRC until
a mechanism is in place."

There is a news report about a dramatic rise in
falsified test scores:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/articles/chinafraud.htm
What a shame!
strawhat  ↗贵宾↗  2002-6-13 23:25:08 | 显示全部楼层 来自: 荷兰
美国USNEWS上让我们汗颜的头条http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/articles/chinafraud.htm
In China, making (up) the grade
U.S. universities see a rise in fake applications
By Bay Fang
BEIJING -- Wang Jin was 31 and desperate to go to graduate school in the United States. She had work experience – six years at a state-owned company – but her international trade degree was from a vocational school that no longer exists. What's more, her English was lousy. So how could she ever hope to get into a top American university? Easy: Get someone to take the GMAT exam, and find others to write the essays and forge a diploma and transcript.
As more and more Chinese students seek to come to the United States for advanced degrees, some find that it pays to take shortcuts. Enough, in fact, that services to help students cheat have become a cottage industry in Beijing's university district. Surprisingly, many of the cheaters have decent credentials but simply do not want to risk a less-than-perfect application. Conditioned by cutthroat academic competition, they believe that even the slightest risk of failure is simply unacceptable. And as a degree from the United States becomes more and more desirable, the fight is fierce to be one of the roughly 50,000 Chinese students in the States.
Zhang Haoming knows the drill. A long-haired Beijing University graduate (his name and those of other Chinese involved in these applications have been changed to protect their identities), he is exceptionally skilled at applying to American schools, so good that he has received several acceptances from prestigious programs – but none in his own name. Two years ago, he was approached by Wang, an acquaintance, for help. At first, he just tutored her at $12 an hour for the English-proficiency TOEFL exam. "But after two weeks, she came clean and said she'd already 'had those tests taken,' and what she really needed was help with the application. So we struck a deal: I'd take care of what I could, writing her essays and so forth, for $600."
False pretenses. That "so forth" included helping her get a false transcript. "I told her to put the name of a friend as the registrar's contact," says Zhang. She also used friends' names and addresses on the "professors' " recommendations that Zhang wrote. One friend received a verification letter, Zhang said, so "I replied in the professor's name." Indeed, graduate admissions offices are aware of such problems and try to ferret them out when possible. "We do see fraudulent credentials, so we are always working to increase our vigilance," says Laurie Stewart, director of graduate business school admissions at Carnegie Mellon University. "We even ask candidates to write an essay about an ethical issue that they've faced in their professional lives."
Writing the essays, Zhang says, was the hardest part of completing Wang's application. "One school asked what her biggest career achievement had been," he says. "I knew someone who had helped to coordinate a donation of books – the Physicians' Desk Reference – by the Red Cross to Chinese hospitals. So I made up some details, used Wang's name, and said it taught her about management skills." The entire process took two months. "All she did was fill out a couple of forms – no, she didn't even do that. She signed a couple of forms," he says. "Her English was so poor she could hardly complete a sentence." Nevertheless, on the strength of her application, Wang was accepted into two U.S. graduate programs in the spring of 1998. (Wang denied cheating when told about this report but then immediately called Zhang in fear that she was going to be exposed.)
Those not fortunate enough to have a friend like Zhang may turn to schools in China that provide test-preparation and consulting services. University of Iowa Prof. Richard Horwitz, who was a Fulbright scholar in Beijing for the past year, recounts how he and his wife were approached by one school to help students with their personal statements. Horwitz said he was shocked when he realized the school expected its "consultants" to extensively rewrite the application essays. "They feel American institutions are biased against Chinese students because their English is bad. But the result is that once the students get to the States, they don't do well, some have psychological problems, and money is wasted."
Some seek help elsewhere, like the Web site of the New Oriental School in Beijing, which prepares students for study abroad. Anyone can post notices on the site's bulletin board, whether they're looking for study partners, exchanging vocabulary tips ("What is the antonym for 'turncoat'? "), or selling used materials. But a few recurring messages seem particularly cryptic–"seeking TOEFL gunman" or "GMAT gunman for hire"–posted by people seeking or offering themselves as test takers. (School officials said they delete such messages when they see them but can't constantly monitor the Web site.)

One of the recent messages was posted by Li Hong. This 28-year-old has almost perfect credentials for getting into a first-tier computer science Ph.D. program in the United States: legitimate bachelor's and master's degrees from a good university in Beijing, six years of work experience in telecommunications, and recommendations from influential professors at a leading American university. In fact, Li says these professors have offered to help him get into the university if he fulfills one requirement: a TOEFL score higher than 600. Li knows that if he studies hard he can get this score, since he has done so in the past. But he doesn't want to bother. It would take him at least two months, and he's too busy at work, he says. "I'll just find someone who looks like me, so he can use my picture to get into the test," he says. "Besides, the TOEFL only tests your test-taking skills, not your command of English."
Luckily for him, there are many willing to take the test in his place. Xia Dan, a professional translator, plans to take the GMAT and apply to American business schools this year but needs some money first. "I saw so many requests for gunmen posted on school bulletin boards that I thought it made sense for me to use my TOEFL skills for some extra bucks," says the 27-year-old, who charges 5,000 yuan ($600) per test. He posted a notice online as the "GMAT King" and was flooded with requests, including one from someone in Guangxi who wants to emigrate to Canada. "We agreed that if I score 580, he'll pay for me to tour Guangxi, and for every point above 600 he'll pay me 10 yuan ($1.20)." He even has a plan for the photo ID: "I can use computer technology to make a picture that has a blend of my features and the client's," he says smugly. "If I do well on the GMAT, I'll offer myself as a 'GMAT gunman' as well. And then I will charge more than 10,000 yuan!"
For sale. Just down the street, outside the gate of People's University, 24-year-old Ji Yan walks up and down the dusty street, trolling for customers. "Want a diploma? Transcript?" he whispers. Just choose the school, department, and graduation year, and the whole transaction can take less than an hour. "I've done that for tons of people, and the schools never find out," says Ji, an ex-soldier who sells about 30 fake diplomas a month at $50 apiece. But competition is picking up. "There are over a hundred other people out there every day, doing the same thing," he gripes. "Everyone knows how good the money is. It's better than dealing drugs."
The government has come to recognize the problem. Early this year, the Ministry of Education opened a diploma authentication center. Since January, it has received 400 inquiries from embassies, companies, and overseas graduate schools to verify student documents. About 10 percent were bogus. "In the U.S., people make fake documents so they can drink alcohol," says Qiao Wenjun, a director of the center. "In China, people want them to get into a good school."
One last hurdle: a U.S. student visa. American consular officials say they have toughened visa interviews in an effort to detect when an applicant sends a stand-in to conceal his or her language shortcomings. U.S. graduate schools have also wised up to some of the tricks. Many make foreign students pass an English test once they arrive at the school because widespread cheating has rendered the TOEFL score unreliable.
So what happens to people like Wang? She did not end up at either of the schools that admitted her in 1998, because her inadequate English kept her from getting a visa. "She called me in June to ask if I would find someone to sit in on her visa interview for her, but I thought that was going too far," says Zhang. However, Wang reapplied to other schools last year using almost all the same materials. She was accepted by a prestigious university in California, deferred her admission, and plans to enroll next fall.
strawhat  ↗贵宾↗  2002-6-13 23:26:24 | 显示全部楼层 来自: 荷兰
来自一位武大人的反应
发信人: bacillus (高山流水), 信区: Abroad  
标  题: 关于改成绩事件的看法
发信站: 珞珈山水 ( 2002年06月13日0135 星期四), 站内信件
这次出现的改成绩被抓事件给我们武大人的申请和信誉带来了非常严重的负面影响。我想
这是每个武大人都可以非常清楚的看出来的。现在事情已经发生了,下面的事情应该是我
们应该怎么办?应该怎样挽回武汉大学在国际上的声誉的的问题。  

我想,我们每个人都应该好好读一下UCLA的那封信的具体内容。他们其实不止是怀疑武大
学生的成绩单他们对整个中国的大学生申请者都提出了怀疑。他们给出的usnews的连接就
非常清楚的表明了这一点。  
以我对美国人的认识,他们是不会太过于株连他人的,我想,对武大也不会有太大的偏见
。毕竟武大的学生们用自己的行动在美国也证明咱们是不错的。所以大家没有必要太过于
恐慌。  

我想,我们在这里追究到底是那个人做的那件事情是没有意义的。虽然他太贪心了一些,
导致了学校的声誉和我们每个学子的属于受损,但是他自己也已经为此付出了他可以付出
的最大的代价,依我看他在美国是再也呆不下去了。这样的事情是他一生的阴影。我在这
里希望这位校友能够尽快的爬起来,在别的国家别的领域里重新找到自我的价值。美国和
学术看来是不可以的了。  

现在的问题是,面对这次的危机,武汉大学校方和我们这些学生自己应该做些什么?  
首先我想我们应该深刻的反省我们自己对于诚信的基本概念。应该认识到诚信是做人的根
本。而不是应付  
美国人的权益之计。  
其二,学校方面应该加强学生成绩单的管理工作,采取和北京大学类似的不经过学生本人
的成绩单制度。相关的成本可以由要求开列成绩单的学生负担。武大甚至可以作到更加严
格:就是连最后封好的成绩单也不交给学生本人,而是直接使用学生提供的地址发给国外
的大学。当然学生可以自己拥有一份copy便于核对。  
第三,武大若是作出了相关的改进以后应该,应该发信给美国大学申明从何时开始学校使
用了这样的制度并发给他们样本以便核对。以后若是有任何的格式改动也会及时的提供更
新。  

我想,这样一来武大一下子可以获得比其他大学更加可信的成绩单单声誉,从而成功的解
决此次危机。甚至将它化为改进的动力。  

本人是武大生命科学学院毕业的。现在在美国的一所医学院读研究生。我希望有人可以将
我的建议转给武大相关的负责人。希望学校方面千万不要小看此事的影响。  

也希望那些曾经改动过成绩的少数校友不要在贪心不足搞什么转校了。小心谨慎些吧。不
希望再有人出事了。  

--
※ 来源:.珞珈山水 http://bbs.whu.edu.cn ◆ FROM: 128.249.153.67
strawhat  ↗贵宾↗  2002-6-13 23:50:01 | 显示全部楼层 来自: 荷兰
发信人: qg (stacy), 信区: WHU
标 题: Re: [转载] ZT: A Chinese student in UCLA fabricates his/her transcript
发信站: The unknown SPACE (Tue Jun 11 1535 2002) WWW-POST

我是觉得武大的成绩单造假挺容易的,虽然我没干过。
想当初,我拖师兄给我办成绩单,寄过来后一看,鼻子都气歪了,课程名字没几个对的。
数学翻成matimaca,天线是atnna。钱倒收了不少。过了几个月,我照着成绩单原件,自己
打了份成绩单,把课程名字错误的地方全给改正了,但分数是一个都没改,是60的还是60
。专程坐火车跑到武汉再去办一次。行政处的人倒很痛快,看都不看一眼我改好的成绩单
,就梆梆梆往上盖章子,也没有另外再收钱,最后连信封都是我自己在行政楼找了个地方
,借了点胶水封好的,搞得我很是惊讶。
我觉得武大在办成绩单发面太不负责,漏洞百出,很容易让人钻空子。
phoenix  中级海盗  2002-6-14 02:31:43 | 显示全部楼层 来自: 中国北京
请抢手考试,伪造成绩单已经不是什么新鲜事了,尤其在中国这样混乱的管理制度和如此激烈的竞争环境下,几乎成了必然的事情。我知道的就有好几个类似情况。一个去了澳洲,一个去了法国,其中有个家伙上大学的时候就是请客送礼毕的业,后来盗用了他人的成绩单。
云游  高级海盗  2002-6-14 03:10:37 | 显示全部楼层 来自: 中国上海
其实那些都是国外那些学校自己找的。他们也不去看看他们自己大学生是什么素质。对我们中国人要求就特别的高。
GPA3。5?
鬼子可能自己班上也找不出几个那么牛的。就是喜欢欺负我们中国人。
其实这也是不讲人权。种族歧视。。。。。
SUNKISSBEAR  见习海盗  2002-6-14 15:17:20 | 显示全部楼层 来自: 中国浙江杭州
中国人穷的连骨气都没了,干吗不索性直接伪造国籍和外国的文凭,这样连出国都不用了,死笨!中国人该管管自己的脑子了。
strawhat  ↗贵宾↗  2002-6-14 15:31:26 | 显示全部楼层 来自: 荷兰
下面引用由phoenix2002/06/14 03:31am 发表的内容:
请抢手考试,伪造成绩单已经不是什么新鲜事了,尤其在中国这样混乱的管理制度和如此激烈的竞争环境下,几乎成了必然的事情。我知道的就有好几个类似情况。一个去了澳洲,一个去了法国,其中有个家伙上大学的时候 ...
问题是若干年之后查出来了还是逃不掉,而造假在西方国家是犯法的事情。没看到那
家美国大学把那个中国人92年在中国的成绩还有他在美国待了几年的东西都查了一
遍吗?那件事是真事,前不久在那个未名空间(bbs.mit.edu)上就有个ID在向大家求
助说怀疑被人使袢子让学校查出来他成绩单造假,问大家他怎么办?当时还讨论的
热火朝天。没两天这些消息就都证实了。
一句英语谚语:
you can fool some people sometimes, you cannot fool all the people all the
time
123下一页
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表

关于此网站上的Cookie

我们使用 Cookie 来个性化和改善您在我们网站上的使用体验,了解您如何使用本网站和为您提供量身定制的广告或咨询。 如果您继续使用我们的网站,即代表您同意我们使用 Cookie政策。 请访问我们Cookie条款隐私条款,了解最新内容。

接受