凭借神奇的换内衣经历,
  一路挺进了哈佛。

哈佛大学,世界大学声誉排名前列的高等学府。

这里曾走出包括奥巴马、罗斯福在内的8位美国总统,是各种名人科学家艺术家文学家的聚集地,是几亿少男少女的遥远虚幻的梦。

然而一个美国女高中生靠着写换内衣的心得实现了这个梦!

故事是这样开始的……

有人在Quora上提问:大神们,请问你们申请哈佛时都写过哪些顶尖的文书?

越南姑娘Ngoc于是就慷慨地分享了自己的经历。

Ngoc其实本来不打算申请哈佛的,她觉得自己不够优秀,准备也不充分,所以在申请大学时,哈佛是她最后一刻才加到申请名单里的——只是因为哈佛的申请流程太简单了,不试一下简直浪费!

申请哈佛需要写一篇能表达自己的文章。

实际上在这个申请文书上,妹子偷了懒,她直接拿申请芝加哥大学时写的一篇谈论内衣的作品交了上去…然而,就是这一篇选题有些“非主流”的文章,却获得了哈佛招生官的青睐,将Ngoc一路送到哈佛!

文章的一开始,Ngoc描述了自己第一次穿胸罩的场景,表达了自己对内衣深深的厌恶。

『   我第一次戴胸罩,是小学五年级。一天我回家之后,妈妈送给我一件小小的白布,她告诉我:“你现在是一个大女孩了,你需要穿这个。”

从那一刻开始,我的生活永远被改变了。

自从胸前多了这个不太舒服的玩意儿,Ngoc就没安生的时候。它们紧贴于衬衫之下,勒着自己的胸,总有一股隐隐的压力,似乎无时无刻不在提醒着她:无忧无虑的童年已经过去了。      』

0 (1).gif

就这样,内衣进入了Ngoc的生活。

第一件内衣用了没多久换了,随之而来的是第二件、第三件,到了第四件的时候,Ngoc已经穿上了成人内衣。

因为不断的更换内衣,Ngoc积累了许多再也不会穿的内衣,这让她十分伤感。

『   在我衣柜的最深处,有一堆被遗弃的胸罩,那些内衣上细小的、破旧的丝线,在我曾经穿的日子里曾经被照耀得非常明亮。

然而这种明亮,在被我遗弃后已经消失了。它们安静地待在宇宙的另一角,聚集起来的灰尘如同死星,没有生命、没有光泽、没有活力。

Ngoc想起了自己穿内衣的那一天,一样是没有选择的余地,没有拒绝的权利,这和那些被丢弃的内衣有什么两样?

于是,每换一件新的内衣,这种失落感就加重一分,她觉得自己似乎被强行推着,走到越来越遥远的地方,没有回头的余地。

她开始厌恶起了新内衣上的那些装饰:时髦的褶皱,夸张的图案,繁复的花边,一切都是那么的闪亮亮,似乎是为了抵消人生进程中越加越重的担子而做出的补偿。

但是,后来她想通了。

生活并不是线性的,而是周期性的。

新星可以从死星的灰烬里重生,死亡也会被生命的光照亮。因此,现在只是对过去的重新诠释,在穿着新的胸罩的时候,我并没有抛弃过去的自我,我只是在重新定位自己以适应不断变化的时代。

所以Ngoc释然了,她觉得变化虽然对每个人来说都有压力,但却是人世间的自然规律。

柜子里的内衣没有办法减少,但是她也坦然承认,随着年龄的增加,胸部会不断地下垂,所以她需要新的内衣——毕竟这个世界上没有什么能比一件内衣带来更坚挺的依靠了。

如此有人生哲学的文章,内衣已不仅仅是内衣,当然获得了网友们的赞赏:

作为哈佛的招生官之一,布莱斯·吉尔菲尔连(Bryce Gilfillian)被问到哈佛招生官最看重什么,他答道:我们所希望看到的,是一个知道自己是谁,知道自己想要成为什么的学生。申请,就像是你生活的一个投射,我们更希望了解的,是你的生活,你真正关心的问题,和你的兴趣所在。

正是看到了Ngoc的生活和想法,她的思想,所以哈佛才抛出了橄榄枝。

附英文原文申请文书:

I remember the first time I wore a bra. I came home from school in the fifth grade, and my mom handed me a white cloth to put on beneath my shirt. “You’re a big girl now,” she said, “You need to wear this.” From that moment on, my life was forever changed.

That same year, I was taught that the sun would someday die, and I, feeling the pressure of the contraption beneath my shirt, realized that my childhood, too, would eventually dissipate just like the sun.

The first bra paved way for a second, and then a third, and then, by the fourth bra I had advanced to the Lady Type, the ones that my mom wore.

With every new bra, I cast away the former. Somewhere in the dark abyss of my closet, there is a heap of abandoned bras, tiny, worn-out filaments that had once shone so brightly in their days of use, but had faded away into old, neglected remnants of days long gone. They sit against a corner of the universe and gather dust like dead stars— without life, without luster, without vigor.

With every new bra, I felt the unmerciful hand of change push me further down a path with which I had no return. The bras no longer had the simplicity of the first; they came equipped with more folds and stitches and frills and patterns that were designed to counteract the growing complexity of my responsibilities.

Sometimes, when I found myself too big for the current one, I was either unable to or unwilling to get another because of the implications behind the transition—if every new bra meant the death of another star, then the adult world was nothing to me but a lifetime of darkness. I tried so hard not to kill any more stars, but my resistance was not enough, and I found myself adding layer after layer to the ever-increasing pile of bras. With this mindset, I prepared myself for the end, for the moment in which my entire universe would be engulfed by the black hole forming in my closet.

But I was saved.

I learned that life does not occur linearly, but in cycles: New stars can arise from the ashes of former ones, and the darkness of death is replenished by the light of birth. Thus, what is created is only a reinterpretation of the past in a form that is fitted for the present. In wearing a new bra, I was not casting away my old self but reorienting myself to accommodate to changing times.

Change, as overwhelming as it feels, is only natural—the pile of bras will only get bigger. Though it is hard to accept the existence of the bra in my life, I realize that I cannot live without it, for, as we grow older, things tend to droop more easily, and there is nothing more reliable than a bra to give us the inner support necessary to have a firm hold on life.

看完Ngoc的故事其实能够发现,申请文书并不是要你有多么厉害的经历,只是要有真情实感,对自己、对生活有理解。从身边细小的事情开始思考,你也有上哈佛的潜力。

重点不是你写了什么

而是表达了什么

↓ 荷乐网更多精彩内容和活动: ↓

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表

关于此网站上的Cookie

我们使用 Cookie 来个性化和改善您在我们网站上的使用体验,了解您如何使用本网站和为您提供量身定制的广告或咨询。 如果您继续使用我们的网站,即代表您同意我们使用 Cookie政策。 请访问我们Cookie条款隐私条款,了解最新内容。

接受